Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Breakin' Dreams and Cardboard Ecstasy...

Sometimes when I tell people stories about my college days, they don't believe me. My best friend (and partner-in-crime), we'll call her Mini-Mod (or M for short). That is her street/breakin name. Mine is Tru-Loc. At one point we even had psuedo matching t-shirts that we both got from a thrift store, that had those names on them. We were AWESOME!!! What am I talking about??? We totally still are. But now it's a slightly more grown up brand of awesome.

We had a seriously kick-ass apartment in college. It was huge for the price we were paying. Our dining room table was made from a front door that my brother (who is a second degree blackbelt) kicked down and cinder blocks. You had to sit on the floor to use it. We had lots of dinner parties on it. I also had a lap dance on it (but that's a whole other story).

In this apartment, there were hideous fluorescent lights. To battle the tackiness of it all, we draped fabric from the ceiling to soften the light and kind of hide them. It looked great! It complimented the corner that we had hung carpet and fabric remnants on the walls. And in that corner sat a very cool stool that we fondly refered to as Gregory Abbott. You might know him as the guy who sang "Shake you Down" (at least that's what I think the song was called.) We also has a couch named Bob (Marley) and a loveseat named Rufus (Wainright). We were very big into naming inadimate objects. My car's name was Leon.

But that's not really the part that people don't believe. It's the fact that I co-starred in a movie called "Breakin Dreams, Cardboard Ecstasy". As you may have figured out from the title, it IS in fact a break-dancing movie. Starring me, Tru-Loc, the whitest of whiteys. And Mini-Mod, who is a pocket-sized person. Oh, M also wrote, directed and was the camera- girl for it.

This all took place the summer that M was taking a film class, and we shared a paper route. We made a bunch of other movies, and they were pretty much all shot at 3 in the morning while were were working. In one of the movies, I had to "hit" M with my car. I think we did something like 20 different takes from different angles. I also played the neighborhood trapeze artist in that same move, where I pulled a Milli Vanilli to that Carpenters song...the one about birds, but I don't know what it's actually called....why do birds suddenly appear....

That summer I had 2 other jobs. One of them was working at a vetrinary clinic, also with M, where we got to clean out animal cages and play with the doggies. We also sterilized the surgery rooms...where it wasn't uncommon to see animal parts...that was kind of gross. Ok. REALLY gross. The other job was Jack in the Box. It wasn't that interesting.

I think that's enough rambling for today.

1 comment:

Carly said...

You forgot to mention our fantastic Map Wall!

That summer was so fun, especially our $5 Mondays, baking all those cookies, and our daily dose of Scrabble.

And by the way, the song is "Close to You" and you ran me over with Leon 37 times (I counted).

xo.